The Mainstay Inn was originally known as "The Clubhouse," a 19th century pleasure palace, where gentlemen gathered in an elegant setting for gambling and other amusements. Since 1976, visitors have been able to enjoy the same grand spaces, with fourteen foot ceilings, and museum quality antiques. The twelve spacious guestrooms are furnished with splendid antiques, much as they were in the 19th century, but now all have private bathrooms with tub and shower.
All guest rooms at our Cape May, New Jersey bed and breakfast have central air conditioning and most have designated parking spaces. The building known as The Cottage became part of the Mainstay in 1981. Built as a private summer home in 1870, the Cottage is joined to the Inn by a brick walkway transversing a lovely garden with a Victorian fountain. The six rooms in the Cottage, all with queen or king sized beds, have private baths, and central air conditioning, and most have designated parking spaces. Two rooms have private porches overlooking the garden. Guest in the Inn and Cottage enjoy breakfast served family style in our lovely dining room in the spring and fall. In summer a generous buffet is provided, allowing guests to take their plates onto the wide veranda or into the garden. All guests are invited to partake of the famous Mainstay afternoon tea, served each afternoon from 4pm until 5pm. A vast array of beverages, homemade sweets, and savories are presented each day.
Also provided for all guests are lush beach towels, and beach chairs with umbrellas. A shower and changing room are available for those who wish to extend their beach time beyond checkout.
Select Registry member since 1976
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property
Rooms & Suites
- Accommodations: Apartment, Efficiency, Suites
- # Rooms: 12
- Beds: Double, Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Air Conditioning, Antique Furnishings, Bathrobes, Hair dryers, Private Deck, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards
- Entertainment: Cable TV
- Safes: In-Room, Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: Yes
- Front Desk/Security: Business hours
- Inn Amenities: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, National Historic Registry
- Location Type: Coastal, Small Town/Village