Trout Point Lodge is Canada's only member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World collection and is rated 5 stars by Canada Select. It is the World's first Starlight hotel certified by UNESCO partner Starlight Foundation. Nestled in a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in Nova Scotia’s Acadian Forest, Trout Point Lodge offers Nova Scotia's most memorable vacation experiences including outdoor adventure, stargazing, culinary classes & romance in the wilderness packages -- with whale watching, sea kayaking, scenic beaches, historic towns, and engaging museums nearby. The lodge's kitchen deftly interprets Atlantic Acadian cuisine from traditional recipes and seasonal sources of local delicacies, intertwining unpretentious cooking, foraging, harvests from extensive on-site gardens, and the ethical use of local seafood to create unique dining experiences, with a recognized commitment to environmental sensitivity.
Positioned so that every room, suite, and cottage boasts river or forest views, a Trout Point vacation allows you to forget the cares of the outside world, perfect to celebrate that special occasion or simply for a relaxing getaway. An enchanting location combined with luxurious accommodations provide for a restorative and civilized sojourn. Each stay also holds myriad possibilities for Nova Scotia vacation adventures, with or without a guide:
- kayaking, hiking, forest bathing, hiking, wilderness safaris, river swimming, star gazing, mountain bikes as well as outdoor barrel sauna, wood-fired cedar hot tub, and massage.
As a luxury outpost amidst the southwest reaches of Atlantic Canada's largest wilderness area, surrounded by pristine Acadian forest and rivers, guests at Trout Point benefit from a complete, subtly therapeutic Nova Scotia vacation, from the mineral water freely flowing from the taps, to the quality air and total absence of night-time light pollution, from forest bathing to soaks in the healing tannin-rich waters of the Tusket River. The area has the best starlight and dark skies in North America, making for an unforgettable star gazing experience after dinner.
Trout Point lies within Nova Scotia's largest Acadian tourism region, the secret gem of Bon Temps . . . toujours acadienne first settled in the 1650s and equidistant between Nova Scotia's famed Lighthouse Route and the Evangeline Trail. There's so much to experience in the Bon Temps region, starting with the friendliest Acadian communities, including Pubnico, one of just 2 Baronial grants made in all of New France, starting in the early seventeenth century. The Bon Temps region features engaging museums, fantastic golf, and enticing culinary attractions.
If you want to smell the salt air & feel the spray let us arrange sea kayaking, whale watching, or deep sea fishing for you. Another short drive out of the wilderness takes you to historic Shelburne, with its 18th century historic district & natural deep water harbor, or Yarmouth, a working seaport and home to scenic Cape Forchu. A little further on beyond Shelburne (about 1 1/2 hours from the lodge) lies the Seaside Adjunct of Kejmikujik National Park, where you can visit beautiful sandy beaches and see seals playing in the pristine Atlantic waters. There's also lots more of Acadian culture to explore,including Rendez-vous de la Baie Cultural and Interpretive Centre in Clare, Digby County. Digby, Yarmouth, & Shelburne counties have numerous museums, parks, and natural areas to fill days of exploration and discovery.
Trout Point Lodge has received the following distinctions:
Inaugural Parks Canada Sustainability Award
"Luxurious Forest Hideaway" Michelin Green Guide
Fodor's Choice 2015-16
Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2009
Top 50 Hotels Worldwide, 2014 World's Best Hotel Awards, Five Star Alliance
World's top 10 foodie getaways, Departures magazine
World's top 10 eco lodges, USA Today
World's best wilderness lodges, Men's Journal
Trout Point Lodge is 40 minutes drive from the Yarmouth International Ferry Terminal and is 3 hours drive from Halifax International Airport.
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Fitness Center, Shuttle Service, Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Wine/Spirits available
- Pet Friendly: Limited
- Smoking Policy: Outside Only
- Family Friendly: No
Food & Wine
Trout Point kitchen was the first restaurant in Canada to receive international recognition for its sustainability, with the award of a Three Star (Michelin equivalent) rating from the UK-based Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) in 2013. The kitchen interprets Atlantic Acadian cuisine from traditional recipes and seasonal sources of local delicacies, intertwining traditional cooking techniques, foraging, harvests from extensive on-site gardens, and the ethical use of local seafood to create unique dining experiences. Choose from their award winning 170+ selection wine list which has received the Wine Spectator's Award for Excellence since 2009.
Dinner at our leading Nova Scotia gourmet destination may occur in The Dining Room with its haute rustic decor, blue granite walls & black slate floors, or perhaps in the more intimate Chez la Foret, candle lit with white table linens, silver cutlery, crystal stemware, paneled walls, hand-hewn bar, red stone fireplace, and enchanting views of La Riviere Tousquet. Both venues create the perfect stage for a romantic gourmet retreat or that special celebration with family or friends.
- "Food & drink 9/10," Nigel Richardson, The Telegraph (London)
- World's Best Restaurant Hotel 2014, Five Star Alliance
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Breakfast: Available for additional charge
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables
- Breakfast Service: Continental, Full
- Offered Amenities: Complimentary Afternoon Tea/Refreshments, Evening Cocktails, Picnics Available, Room Service
- Alcohol Permits: Beer, Wine, Spirits
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
- Restaurant on Premises: Limited to overnight guests
- Pub/Tavern on Premises: No
Rooms & Suites
Spectacular Guest Suites are in 3 separate buildings all boasting river views.
The Main Lodge is an architectural masterpiece made from giant Eastern Spruce logs featuring full scribe notch and dovetail joinery, chiseled granite and sandstone. The Main Lodge offers 7 Junior Suites (400+ sq. ft.) & 1 Premier Suite (700+ sq. ft.), all with river views and some with wood-burning fireplaces/stoves and outdoor covered patios or porches. This three-story structure houses guest facilities, the Great Room, the Mezzanine Library, dining rooms, kitchen, two bars, and recreational facilities on the banks of two wilderness rivers.
A short walk from the Main Lodge, Beaver Hall is home to 3 extraordinary suites, all with river views and outdoor covered porches. The grand common area has a soaring cathedral ceiling and massive stone wood-burning fireplace. It is located at a bend in the Tusket River and has its own dock with Muskoka chairs. Private massage treatment and culinary classes are some of the activities to enjoy at Beaver Hall.
Downstream from the Main Lodge on scenic East Meadow lake is our lakeside cottage. Black Bear Cottage has 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, satellite TV, direct dial telephone, sun porch, ample decks and comfy living areas. The cottage receives daily maid service and evening turn-down service. The downstairs has a queen bed, closet, and en-suite bathroom. The upstairs has 2 double beds, an en-suite bathroom, closet, and TV w/ DVD player.
- Accommodations: Cottages, Suites
- # Rooms: 12
- Beds: Double, Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Bathrobes, Fireplaces, Hair dryers, Rollaway Available, Telephones, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Turndown Service, Laundry Service
- Entertainment: CD Players, Music Library, Video Library
- Safes: In-Room
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: Yes
- Front Desk/Security: Onsite, 24 hr
- Inn Amenities: Valet Parking, Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, Limited Spa Services, Dedicated Spa Facilities, Restaurant on Site, Tesla/Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Wine/Spirits available
- Location Type: Rural, Waterfront, Waterview
Weddings & Events
- Weddings & Events Capacity: 20-49
- Events Supported: Private Parties, Ceremony, Receptions, Rehearsal Dinner, Bridal Luncheon, Elopement
- Wedding/Reception/Event Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
Business Travel & Events
Whether you are planning a team building session, annual group getaway, executive retreat, or a board meeting, Trout Point Lodge has everything you need to make your next business meeting or small conference memorable, unique, and productive.
Booking of the entire 100-acre property is possible for your exclusive use. Those looking for a place to focus without interruptions combined with opportunities for relaxation, outdoor recreation, and world-class cuisine will appreciate what Trout Point has to offer. Trout Point will help your team unwind, relax, and then get down to business. This is a true retreat that allows your team to focus without distractions - there is no cell phone coverage and no televisions in guest rooms. You can connect to the outside world to the degree desired - telephone, WiFi, satellite television and high speed internet are all available.
- Banquet Seating: 30
- Reception Seating: 30
- Max Capacity Outdoor: 30
- Max Capacity Boardroom: 14
- Business Travel & Events Max Capacity: 24
- Total Meeting Rooms: 3
- Meeting Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
- Meeting Amenities: Onsite Catering
- Meeting Types: Business Meeting, Retreats, Social