Discerning guests seeking peace and solitude often find it at the Swag, the highest mountaintop inn in the eastern United States. Come see why Andrew Harper named The Swag the “Most Romantic Hideaway” in his 2018 Grand Awards and why Condé Nast honored The Swag as the #2 “Top Resort in the South” in its 2017 Readers’ Choice Awards.
The Swag is an independent luxury inn located in the Great Smoky Mountains just west of Asheville, North Carolina. At an elevation of 5,000 feet, the Swag’s 250 private acres share a common mile-long split rail border fence with Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is a remote destination named for a ridge that gently dips or “swags” between two mountains.
Here, nature has set the stage with sheer beauty and thoughtful attention to detail creates a sense of unsurpassed peacefulness and relaxation. The Swag’s distinctive accommodations have expanded and include private cabins and spacious suites all furnished with early American rustic antiques, handmade quilts, woven rugs, and original artwork.
Founded in 1982 by Deener Matthews, The Swag was originally built in 1971 as the family home of Deener and her husband Dan Matthews, an Episcopal clergyman and the retired rector emeritus of Trinity Episcopal Church on Wall Street in New York City. Now in its 37th season, Annie and David Colquitt, who honeymooned at The Swag in 2011, recently acquired the inn.
Select Registry member since 1991
- Inkeepers Pets: Outside Only
- Pet Friendly: No
- Smoking Policy: Smoke-Free
- Family Friendly: Yes
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Laundry Facility
Food & Wine
Meals at The Swag are both social and delectable experiences. It is not unusual for lasting friendships to be forged while guests feast on our gourmet cuisine!
Breakfast specialties include our cider-simmered oatmeal, fragrant breads, fresh juices and an ever-changing variety of pancakes, omelette station, waffles, and pastries.
For lunch, we have the Wednesday chef's gourmet picnic at noon and Brunch on Sunday. Otherwise, all luncheons are either in a brown bag (if you are leaving The Swag), insulated thermal backpack if you are hiking, and a wooden picnic hamper if you want to spread a checkered cloth and eat your picnic closer to the inn.
We'll provide maps with hiking destinations clearly marked.
At dinner, the mood is elegant, yet relaxed. Our delicious cuisine is served with flair in the candlelit dining room. Vegetarian and special diet meals are available upon request.
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables, Communal
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Offered Amenities: Complimentary Beverages, Complimentary Afternoon Tea/Refreshments, Complimentary Snacks, Complimentary Early Coffee/Tea, Complimentary Evening Hors d'oeuvres, Picnics Available, Room Service
- Alcohol Permits: Beer, Wine
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
- Pub/Tavern on Premises: No
Rooms & Suites
Guest rooms and private cabins at our Smoky Mountain resort are all individually decorated with handmade quilts, woven rugs, early American rustic antiques, and original artwork. Most rooms feature private balconies, woodburning fireplaces, and steam showers.
- Accommodations: Cabins, Cottages, Efficiency, Suites
- # Rooms: 14
- Beds: King
- Room Amenities: Antique Furnishings, Bathrobes, Fireplaces, Private Deck, Refrigerators, Rollaway Available, Telephones, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Turndown Service, Laundry Service
- Safes: In-Room, Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: No
- Front Desk/Security: Onsite, 24 hr
- Inn Amenities: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Laundry Facility, Business Center, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, Limited Spa Services, Restaurant on Site, Tesla/Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Wine/Spirits available, Concierge Services
- Location Type: Mountains
Weddings & Events
It is difficult to imagine a more beautiful, natural setting to serve as the backdrop for the celebration of a marriage. Most weddings at The Swag are relatively small events, roughly 50 to 75 people in size (maximum of 100). The couple and their immediate families and closest friends usually reserve the entire inn for at least two nights. Other friends and family can be accommodated at nearby lodging facilities
- Weddings & Events Capacity: 1-19
- Events Supported: Ceremony, Receptions, Elopement
- Wedding/Reception/Event Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
Business Travel & Events
Our one of a kind location and our welcoming hospitality create a casual elegance and relaxing atmosphere for North Carolina retreats, meetings and events. Whether it’s a family reunion, executive retreat, brainstorming session, or product unveiling, you won’t find a more unique venue to relax, generate creative ideas, or simply enjoy the company of colleagues or loved ones.
- Meeting Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
- Meeting Amenities: Onsite Catering
- Meeting Types: Business Meeting, Retreats, Social