Snowbird Mountain Lodge …a magical, historic retreat on a secluded mountaintop in western North Carolina, overlooking the crystal-clear waters of Lake Santeetlah and the mile-high, scenic vistas of the Cherohala Skyway. Lamplight deepens the glow of the Lodge’s chestnut timber. At sunrise, fingers of fog in the valleys below hold promise for a new day. The screen door claps shut softly on a breezy, warm summer evening. The sounds and scenes of Snowbird have delighted guests since 1941, healing souls and refreshing spirits with its quietly astounding smoky mountain vistas.
High up in Santeetlah Gap, on the Southern border of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, lies this secluded, rustic yet elegant, North Carolinian historic lodge built of stone and huge chestnut logs. The view from the porch is one of the best in the mountains. An excellent library, huge stone fireplaces, and award-winning gourmet cuisine make this lodge an exceptional retreat from the pressures of the world. Whether it’s fly-fishing, hiking, biking, or just relaxing in front of the fire we can make your trip to the mountains picture-perfect.
Select Registry member since 1973
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Shuttle Service, Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Wine/Spirits available
Food & Wine
Breakfast: 8:00-9:30 am
Gourmet Picnic lunch
Home Made Cookies in the Main Lodge: 3:00 pm
Dinner: 6:00-8:00 pm by reservation.
Fireside Bar open daily: 3:00-10:00 pm
Dining at Snowbird Mountain Lodge is the perfect blend of rustic and elegant. Enjoy the dining room fireplace on cool mountain evenings, or feel the breeze on the terrace in the warm summer mornings. Our Snowbird Mountain Blend coffee is sure to entice you out of bed for the hearty breakfast that awaits you! Collect your gourmet picnic lunch after breakfast and hit the trails, or stay closer to the Lodge and read a book overlooking the mountains while enjoying your lunch in a rocking chair on the porch. The final meal of the day is a four-course gourmet meal prepared by our chefs to feature the freshest local and seasonal ingredients. The dinner menu and dessert menu change daily and feature fresh new recipes along with the Snowbird Classics that our guests have come to love over the years. A note about special dietary needs: Snowbird Mountain Lodge is happy to accommodate vegetarian, vegan and special needs diets with advanced notice. The chefs make every effort to ensure that all guests have a gourmet dining experience.
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Alcohol Permits: Beer, Wine, Spirits
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
Rooms & Suites
Constructed of native stone and large chestnut timber beams the historic Main Lodge has an incredible view of mountains stretching as far as the eye can see. Each of the fifteen guest rooms are paneled in a different wood that was harvested here on site in 1938. Woods like Silverbell, Basswood, Cherry, Sourwood, Maple and Chestnut were used to panel the rooms giving them a warm and graceful feel. The front terrace with its large comfortable rockers invites you to enjoy lunch or have a conversation with a new friend. The fireplace in the large Lodge room beckons you to have a seat and enjoy the crackling of logs while enjoying a good book from our extensive library. The Fireside Bar offers an incredible selection of wines, spirits and hand crafted beers from around the world. Our wild cherry paneled dining room or the chestnut dining terrace offers you the perfect spot to enjoy one of our renowned breakfasts or four course gourmet dinners.
Our Wolfe Cottage and Chestnut Lodge were designed to compliment and maintain the natural look of Snowbird Mountain Lodge while offering upscale amenities such as private decks and porches, gas fireplaces with fireside sitting areas, satellite radio, and beautiful baths. Provate decks and porches complete with hot tubs that offer stunning mountain views.
- Accommodations: Efficiency, Suites
- # Rooms: 23
- Beds: Double, King
- Room Amenities: Air Conditioning, Antique Furnishings, Bathrobes, Fireplaces, Hair dryers, Private Deck, Refrigerators, Rollaway Available, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Laundry Service
- Entertainment: iPod Docking Stations, Music Library, Video Library
- Safes: In-Room, Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: No
- Front Desk/Security: Onsite, 24 hr
- Inn Amenities: Shuttle Service, Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, National Historic Registry, Wine/Spirits available
- Location Type: Rural, Mountains
- Inkeepers Pets: Outside Only
- Pet Friendly: No
- Smoking Policy: Smoke-Free