Inn By The Bandstand was built as a grand Federal-style home in 1809 and graces the heart of downtown Exeter, New Hampshire. Our hotel has won several awards and heralds as one of the premium lodging establishments in New England. We are located two blocks from the prestigious Phillips Exeter Academy, ten minutes drive from the beach, and one hour north of Boston. Our English inspired hotel offers exquisite decor and charm. We offer eight guest rooms and suites furnished with antiques and modern amenities for ultimate comfort. All of our accommodations feature private bathrooms, luxurious bathrobes, and fireplaces in seven of the eight guest rooms and suites. Our rates include a culinary inspired breakfast each morning and fresh brewed coffee.
Reminiscent of the times long ago when life was slower paced and people stopped to chat, you will find that and more in quintessential downtown Exeter. There are rows of charming shops, antique stores, a chocolatier, an upscale toy shop, and a traditional bookstore. There is fine apparel, fine dining and casual dining options all within walking distance of our hotel. You can walk or ride one of our bikes to the Swasey Parkway and enjoy a picnic next to the river. There is the American Independence Museum, which holds one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence and Revolutionary artifacts. Rich in Early American History, our town has much to offer for a romantic getaway or a family vacation.
Select Registry member since 2006
- Pet Friendly: Limited
- Smoking Policy: Smoke-Free
- Family Friendly: Yes
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Wine/Spirits available
Food & Wine
Consciously adapting our breakfasts using the menus developed by the Culinary Institute of America our historic downtown property serves and caters to your wishes for either lighter fare or a more substantial breakfast.
Start with fresh squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, followed by fresh-ground New Hampshire roasted coffee. Breakfast is always served with fresh fruit and always presented table side. Buffet service is by request and only when guests take over the Inn.
Your Innkeeper/chef’s varied menus are both a celebration of mouthwatering creations as well as masterpieces that resemble paintings by Renoir. With the fusion of his Mexican upbringing, a simple omelet becomes a piece of art. With incredible attention to detail, each frittata is delicately prepared with the best local produce; eggs Benedict either traditional or Florentine, are always a favorite.
Unlike other venues, most guests at the Inn by the Bandstand have individual tables in the Inn’s dining room to savor the food with their respective partners, without having to interact with others at such early hours. The Inn also offers room service where guests may have breakfast in the privacy of their rooms/suites. Weather permitting; the Inn’s lovely outdoor terrace becomes yet another venue for guests to enjoy their breakfast. And for those who wish to mingle with others they, of course, can sit together and share their stories and adventures for the day.
Breakfast during the week is served between 8:30 and 9:30 and on weekends between 9:00 and 10:00. Special breakfast times may be arranged in advance.
For guests with certain food issues, we offer vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options. Please notify the Innkeeper when making reservations. The Inn's onsite restaurant, Otis. opened in 2016 achieved Best New Restaurant of the Year. Chef/Owner Lee was invited to cook at the famous James Beard Institute in New York. Reservations are strongly encouraged.
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Dinner
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Complimentary Breakfast: Yes
- Offered Amenities: Complimentary Beverages, Complimentary Afternoon Tea/Refreshments, Complimentary Snacks, Complimentary Early Coffee/Tea, Complimentary Warm Cookies before bed, Room Service
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
- Restaurant on Premises: Open to the public
Rooms & Suites
The Inn has eight guest rooms and suites, each decorated in an elegant, individual style with antiques, fine linens and comfortable king-sized, queen-sized and twin-sized beds. All guest rooms and suites have private baths. In the summer, keep cool with air conditioners. During the fall and winter, snuggle by the fireplace.
- Accommodations: Efficiency, Suites, Adjoining rooms/suites
- # Rooms: 8
- Beds: Twin, Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Air Conditioning, Antique Furnishings, Bathrobes, Fireplaces, Hair dryers, Refrigerators, Rollaway Available, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Microwaves, Laundry Service
- Entertainment: Cable TV , iPod Docking Stations
- Safes: Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: Yes
- Front Desk/Security: Onsite
- Inn Amenities: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, Limited Spa Services, Restaurant on Site, National Historic Registry, Tesla/Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Wine/Spirits available, Concierge Services
- Location Type: Small Town/Village
Weddings & Events
Planning a wedding is no easy task. There are many details, hours of shopping, and the stress of pleasing everyone.
Sure, anyone can plan a wedding, but not everyone has the experience or the time to follow through on the never ending list of details and to do it within your time frame and budget. At the Inn by the Bandstand, we believe it is best to leave the planning to a professional for many reasons, but mostly, it allows you to enjoy your wedding, make your family and guests feel at home and focus on the real reason you are there – to marry your soul mate.
With many years of combined event planning experience, we are associated with a full service wedding planning company that takes special pride in developing sophisticated, creative and memorable weddings, bridal showers, rehearsal dinners and receptions.
- Weddings & Events Capacity: 20-49
- Events Supported: Private Parties, Ceremony, Receptions, Rehearsal Dinner, Bridal Luncheon, Elopement
- Wedding Services & Amenities: Wedding Planner, Officiant, Caterer, Florist, Photographer, Decorator
- Wedding/Reception/Event Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
Business Travel & Events
Imagine your next get-together in our 200 year old inn. The Inn by the Bandstand is your perfect choice for anniversary and birthday celebrations, retirement and graduation parties, holiday gatherings, afternoon tea, and more. Our classic federal style townhouse offers an intimate and serene setting with a touch of modern conveniences.
The Inn by the Bandstand has been a home of memories for nearly 200 years, and we hope that you can be part of the experience and create your memories with us.
We can connect you with fantastic local caterers, vendors, florists, salons, spas, and more, to make your event a success. Whether you're getting ready for your wedding day with your bridesmaids, hosting a business lunch, or planning a family gathering, the Inn is the perfect setting in downtown Exeter.
- Banquet Seating: 24
- Reception Seating: 24
- Max Capacity Outdoor: 75
- Max Capacity Theater: 15
- Max Capacity Classroom: 15
- Max Capacity Boardroom: 15
- Business Travel & Events Max Capacity: 25
- Total Rooms Sq Footage: 400
- Total Meeting Rooms: 2
- Meeting Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
- Meeting Amenities: Onsite Catering
- Meeting Types: Business Meeting, Retreats, Social