The Four Columns Inn in Newfane, VT is a historic Vermont destination which has been carefully renovated with your needs in mind. Since 1965 The Four Columns Inn has been the touchpoint of southern Vermont’s cultural, artistic and culinary scene. The Inn and its restaurant have welcomed local and international luminaries such as Mick Jagger, Michael Douglas and Sting, who chose Four Columns to celebrate milestone events with friends and family. Economist John Kenneth Galbraith frequently shared the dining room with Henry Kissinger in the 1970s.
Sustainability and luxurious healthy living has always been at the core of the Four Columns. In the 1960s, when the Inn was first opened as a guest house, it was imagined as a top level lodging and dining destination, with a distinctive European flair. Operated by Rene and Pierrette Chardain, the Four Columns was the first “true” Farm-to-Table restaurant in the United States, preceding the legendary Alice Waters by four years. Today we respect this heritage with our attention to detail and the farm conscious Artisan Restaurant.
As a guest, our stunning 138 acre property is yours to explore and our team will take care of all your needs. The Four Columns experience features a stunning historic setting, a welcoming staff, thoughtful hospitality details, and relaxed fine food at the Artisan Restaurant, Tavern & Garden.
- Member Since: 2018
All rates are for double occupancy, per night and are subject to change without notice. There is an additional charge of $50 for an extra person in the room age 5 or older.
Check in time is 3pm.
Check out time is 11am.
All reservations must be secured by a deposit of 50% of the reserved stay, with a minimum value of one room night.
If for any reason you need to cancel your reservation we require at least 21 days’ notice prior to your arrival. For cancellations made with the required notice we will refund your deposit less a $40 per room cancellation fee.
For cancellations made within 21 days of your arrival date your deposit is not refundable, but you may reuse your deposit towards a future stay within twelve months of your cancelled arrival date, subject to availability. If you cancel your rescheduled visit at any time your deposit is not refundable.
For cancellations 7 days or less prior to your arrival date your deposit will be forfeited and you are responsible for full payment for the entire reserved stay.
There are no refunds for ‘no-shows’, late arrivals or early departures.
All cancelled reservations are subject to a $40 processing fee.
- Minimum Stay Required: Weekends, Holidays, Peak Season
- Inkeepers Pets: Inside
- Pet Friendly: Limited
- Smoking Policy: Smoke-Free
- Family Friendly: Yes
Food & Wine
Artisan Restaurant celebrates the abundance of agriculture and food craftspeople that we are so lucky to have in our neighborhood. Top chefs the world over source from the very farms and artisans that hand deliver to our kitchen door. From this base of simple and authentic ingredients, Chef Erin Bevan and Executive Chef Frederic Kieffer create abundant and wholesome dishes that appeal to all palettes. We feature both tavern and restaurant menus that change seasonally and garden seating is available during warmer seasons.
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Dinner
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables, Set Times
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Complimentary Breakfast: Yes
- Offered Amenities: Complimentary Beverages, Complimentary Afternoon Tea/Refreshments, Complimentary Early Coffee/Tea, Picnics Available
- Alcohol Permits: Beer, Wine, Spirits
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
- Restaurant on Premises: Open to the public
- Pub/Tavern on Premises: Open to the public
Rooms & Suites
All of our spacious rooms are furnished with an eclectic mix of antiques and new furniture, boast the finest linens, Vermont made bath products, WIFI, and flat screen TV’s. Most rooms have King beds and many have fireplaces and deep soaking Jacuzzi bathtubs. All rooms have air conditioning.
- # Rooms: 15
- Beds: Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Air Conditioning, Antique Furnishings, Fireplaces, Hair dryers, Private Deck, Private Entrance, Rollaway Available, Telephones, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards
- Entertainment: Cable TV
- Safes: Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: No
- Inn Amenities: Fitness Center , Pool, Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, Limited Spa Services, Restaurant on Site, Pub/tavern on Site, Tesla/Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Wine/Spirits available, Concierge Services
- Location Type: Small Town/Village
Weddings & Events
Located in beautiful and historic Newfane, Vermont, the Four Columns is an ideal country wedding destination.
In warmer months our outdoor setting is stunning: incredible perennial gardens, riverside lawns, gorgeous Newfane Hill and our historic home and barns as the backdrop for tented events. While in the winter, the setting is Country Home; our post and beam dining room with a large hearth, the sitting room with fireplace and our cozy Tavern.
When your wedding is at Four Columns, the entire property is for you and your guests to enjoy.
- Weddings & Events Capacity: 100-199
- Events Supported: Private Parties, Ceremony, Receptions, Rehearsal Dinner, Bridal Luncheon, Elopement
- Wedding/Reception/Event Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
Business Travel & Events
Since the 1960s, when John Kenneth Galbraith and Henry Kissinger used our dining room to solve the world’s problems, Four Columns Inn has been a secluded and luxurious destination for a weekend conference or business retreat. We can help you plan and execute a productive conference, with just the right balance between work and play.
- Banquet Seating: 150
- Reception Seating: 70
- Max Capacity Outdoor: 150
- Total Meeting Rooms: 3
- Meeting Facilities: Indoor
- Meeting Amenities: Onsite Catering
- Meeting Types: Business Meeting, Retreats, Social