Like most country inns, we trade in romance, exceptional fare, and a change of pace. But, it is the comforting seclusion of the mountains, forests, fields and streams that truly sets historical Fort Lewis apart.
As you arrive, you'll thrill at the expanse of rolling pastures and towering cliffs rising above the river on this 3200 acre mountain estate. Fort Lewis is a rare combination of unpretentious elegance and unique architecture where every room has a view. Evenings are highlighted by contemporary American-style cuisine served in the historic Lewis Gristmill. Outdoor activities abound with hiking, biking, trout fishing or simply relaxing by the Lodge’s pristine swimming hole.
In the tradition of a full service country inn, our rates include a fresh, seasonally inspired dinner and breakfast, prepared by our very talented kitchen.
Open April through early November.
- Minimum Stay Required: Weekends, Holidays
- Pet Friendly: Limited
- Smoking Policy: Outside Only
- Family Friendly: Yes
Food & Wine
A few steps from the Lodge is the magnificently restored 19th century Lewis Grist Mill where a most delightful surprise awaits all foodies: timeless, classic cooking that rivals the finest restaurants in the largest cities. The vibrant mix of fresh tastes and seasonally inspired recipes is enhanced by numerous side dishes including vegetables just plucked from the farm’s own gardens, fresh breads, and sumptuous desserts that have developed a reputation of their own among inn-goers. It’s all tempting, innovative and delicious.
"We didn't bring much - old bathing suits, sensible shoes, tons to read and expand-o-waist pants to accommodate fresh-from-the-garden cooking. Eating is a recreational activity here. Believe me." - Virginian Pilot
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Complimentary Breakfast: Yes
- Offered Amenities: Evening Cocktails, Complimentary Evening Hors d'oeuvres, Picnics Available
- Alcohol Permits: Beer, Wine
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
- Restaurant on Premises: Open to the public
- Pub/Tavern on Premises: Limited to overnight guests
Rooms & Suites
Fort Lewis is a rare combination of unpretentious elegance and unique architecture where every room has a view. In addition to the main Lodge there are three "in the round" silo bedrooms, four hand-hewn log cabins with stone fireplaces, and Riverside House which are perfect for a true country getaway.
All our accomodations are hugged with porches, providing ample areas to enjoy the scenery or to just curl up with a good book. The spacious guest rooms are elegant and feature individual bathrooms. For the purist, spring water flows fresh from the tap.
All rates include a hearty, seasonally inspired dinner and breakfast.
"It's my Shangri-la, a unique place that I recommend enthusiatically. My dictionary dfines Shangri-la as a remote, idyllic hideway where life approaches perfection. For me, that's Fort Lewis Lodge." -Washington Post
- Accommodations: Cabins, Cottages, Suites
- # Rooms: 24
- Beds: Twin, Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Air Conditioning, Antique Furnishings, Fireplaces, Hair dryers, Private Deck, Private Entrance, Refrigerators, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Microwaves
- Entertainment: Cable TV , CD Players, DVD/Blu-Ray Players
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
This 3200 acre estate offers many activities from the serene to the adventurous. Located right on the Cowpasture River, guests are encouraged to swim, fish, tube or canoe. Kayaks and bikes are available free of charge and maps are provided to help you navigate our river and our numerous hiking and biking trails. For those looking to relax, there are many areas around the farm to set up an art easel or simply sit with a book and enjoy the view.
All rates include a fresh, seasonally inspired dinner and breakfast. Picnic lunches are available upon request.
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: Yes
- Front Desk/Security: Business Hours
- Inn Amenities: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, Restaurant on Site, Pub/tavern on Site, National Historic Registry
- Location Type: Rural, Mountains, Ranch/Farm, Waterview
Weddings & Events
There isn't a more beautiful natural setting as a backdrop for your wedding than Fort Lewis.
Just imagine music flowing across the meadow, followed by inspired cuisine, toasting and dancing. The storybook architecture of the Pavilion sets the stage with sweeping church-like beams overhead and stunning mountain vistas in all directions.
The Lodge's Pavilion and inventory of catering equipment cover all your rental needs. Traditional or unconventional, we're ready to go, with lodging accommodations for up to 50 and receptions up to 100.
- Weddings & Events Capacity: 50-99
- Events Supported: Private Parties, Ceremony, Receptions, Rehearsal Dinner, Bridal Luncheon
- Wedding Services & Amenities: Caterer
- Wedding/Reception/Event Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
Business Travel & Events
The Lodge offers excellent indoor and outdoor spaces for everything from business meetings to hobbyist groups to family reunions. Throughout the season the Lodge plays host to numerous groups including car and motorcycle touring clubs, artist retreats, fishermen, birders and hikers. We are happy to tailor our space to accommodate the specific needs of your group!
- Banquet Seating: 100
- Reception Seating: 100
- Max Capacity Classroom: 50
- Max Capacity Boardroom: 50
- Business Travel & Events Max Capacity: 50
- Total Meeting Rooms: 50
- Meeting Facilities: Indoor, Outdoor
- Meeting Amenities: Dedicated Conference Center, Onsite Catering
- Meeting Types: Business Meeting, Retreats, Social