A premier inn, the Carter House Inns, is an enclave of three magnificent Victorians perched alongside Humboldt Bay in Old Town Eureka. The luxurious accommodations at Carter House Inns and the sumptuous dining at Restaurant 301 (considered among Northern California's best restaurants) set an indulgent tone for a marvelous visit to the giant redwood forests, rugged Pacific beaches, and all the other wonders of Northern California's Redwood Coast. Our accommodations and service are unparalleled; our award-winning cuisine is prepared with local organic products and fresh herbs, greens, and vegetables from the Inn's extensive gardens as well as local purveyors.
This California inn also produces the renowned Carter Cellars wine Label. Carter Cellars specializes in limited production cabernets and merlots from some of the finest vineyards in Napa Valley. With two recent 100-point ratings from Robert Parker, Carter Cellars has become a cult classic. Additionally, the inn has ventured into the bourbon segment. After resurrecting the century old Kentucky Owl brand, the premium Kentucky bourbon now sits on the top shelf of the bar for guests to enjoy. With a vast selection of artisanal spirits and the widest selection of bourbon in the county, the bar has become a local gem. Check out our incredible food and wine lover's packages, featuring romantic dining and accommodations in the heart of the Redwood Empire! Carter House offers Humboldt County's finest accommodations, an outstanding full-service restaurant, an online wine shop, a wine club, and information about our wonderful region here at the heart of California's Redwood Country.
Select Registry member since 2003
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Laundry Facility, Wine/Spirits available
Food & Wine
Restaurant 301 is a full service restaurant which is open nightly. It has been awarded the Wine Spectator Grand Award for the past 17 years. Frommer's Guide chose Restaurant 301 as one of the "Best Restaurants in California." The wine list, which include 3,500 wines, was heralded as the Best American wine list in the world by Restaurant and Hospitality Magazine. Guests can choose a five-course discovery tasting menu, order a la carte, or have and fabulous, fresh made, nightly specials made with local foods and greens picked from the inn's garden. There is also a full bar with the widest selection of bourbon in the county as well as many artisnal spirits. The Wine Spectator Grand Award winning winelist boasts over 3400 selections of wines from across the globe. Private dining is available upon request. Restaurant 301 prepares a full breakfast every morning for all our guests. Complete with fresh pastries, homemade granola, seasonal fruit, and chef cooked hot entree, our breakfast is a most delightful way to begin the day. Breakfast is included with all room rates. Our menus are dynamic, changing with the seasons and based on an ultra-fresh garden to table philosophy. The Carter's passion for using only the freshest produce in the cooking at their inn ultimately led them to begin their own organic gardens. Today Carter House maintains the most extensive kitchen gardens used in any local inn on the west coast. Garden produce is generally served the same day it is harvested.
- Meals Offered: Breakfast, Dinner
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Alcohol Permits: Beer, Wine, Spirits
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
Rooms & Suites
Large windows invite glorious streams of sunlight into the mansions, where rich fabrics, original local art and fresh flowers splash vibrant color in every room. In luxury, Carter House has no equal.
- Accommodations: Cottages, Suites
- # Rooms: 32
- Beds: Double, Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Antique Furnishings, Bathrobes, Fireplaces, Hair dryers, Private Deck, Refrigerators, Telephones, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Turndown Service, Laundry Facility, Laundry Service, Dry Cleaning
- Entertainment: iPod Docking Stations, Video Library
- Safes: In-Room, Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: Yes
- Front Desk/Security: Onsite
- Inn Amenities: Free Onsite Parking, Gardens on Property, Laundry Facility, Laundry/Dry Cleaning Services, Business Center, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, Tesla/Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Wine/Spirits available
- Location Type: Coastal, Waterfront, Waterview
- Pet Friendly: Yes
- Smoking Policy: Smoke-Free
- Family Friendly: Yes