Conveniently located at the junction of Interstates 81 and 76, the Carlisle House is waiting for you to come enjoy hospitality with history! We are surrounded by the historic towns of Shippensburg, Mechanicsburg, Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Newville, and Camp Hill, all of which have deep roots in the history of our Keystone State.
Let us welcome you to the Colonial frontier Borough of Carlisle, founded by the Penn family in 1751, and to the Carlisle House, c. 1826. Imagine the cannonballs of Confederate Colonel J.E.B. Stuart’s artillery slamming into the Courthouse on the next block. Stroll around the Downtown Historic District and choose a relaxing dinner of Belgian, Thai, Japanese, English, Spanish/Moroccan, Italian, or American cuisine.
Later in your room at our Carlisle, Pennsylvania bed and breakfast, take care of business with our free Internet and long-distance phone service, or relax with a DVD and a complimentary beverage from your in-room fridge. In the morning, enjoy a convivial breakfast before embarking on a day of antiquing, shopping, golfing, hiking on the Appalachian Trail, fly-fishing on two of the world’s top streams (the Letort and the Yellow Breeches) or indulge in a refreshing spa experience. Schedule your visit for a class at the Kitchen Shoppe’s culinary school, an exhibit at the historical museum, or one of Carlisle’s world-famous auto shows. We are looking forward to your visit!
Select Registry member since 2011
- Minimum Stay Required: Peak Season
- Pet Friendly: No
- Smoking Policy: Outside Only
- Family Friendly: Yes, Over 12
- Inn Amenities Refine Search: Free Onsite Parking
Food & Wine
With over 20 dining spots within a four-block stroll, Carlisle has just about every cuisine the serious foodie may want! From White Elephant Thai to Trattoria Piatto, you can travel the world in culinary fashion! The bustling bistro atmosphere of Cafe Bruges contrasts with the Japanese calm of Mt Fuji. (Incidentally, we have had many guests from LA, Washington DC, and New York who say that Mt Fuji's sushi and sashimi is the best they ever ate!). The new AYA Japanese boasts two sections: Hibachi tables with grilled treats and a quieter table area with everything Sushi: makizushi, inarizushi and chirashizushi. French Crepes can be enjoyed at Helena's along with her delicious French macarons.
All of these restaurants and many more are shown on our Restaurant Guide page, along with links to their web-sites where available. The food scene is just one of the many reasons that you will want to return to Carlisle, and the Carlisle House, over and over again!
- Meals Offered: Breakfast
- Breakfast: Complimentary
- Breakfast Seating: Individual Tables, Communal
- Breakfast Service: Full
- Complimentary Breakfast: Yes
- Offered Amenities: Complimentary Beverages, Complimentary Afternoon Tea/Refreshments, Complimentary Snacks, Complimentary Early Coffee/Tea
- Special Diets Accommodated: Yes
Rooms & Suites
Visitors to Carlisle, Gettysburg, or Harrisburg are certain to find a room to fit their needs at the Carlisle House as our ten rooms vary in size and number of beds, Our coziest accommodation, Jessie's Room, has a Queen bed and in the bathroom there is a Maax Imagine shower with six body jets and 10 massaging back jets! Our largest, the Penn Suite, has two bedrooms each with a Queen bed plus a sitting room, bathroom, and an eat-in kitchen with dishwasher, ceramic top stove, fridge/freezer AND a washer/dryer! In-between is Anna Woods, a two-bedroom and two-bathroom suite on the first floor.
In-between, the Ewing Room features a King bed and a double Jacuzzi, the Rose Room has a Queen bed, twin bed, and a bathroom with multi-jetted shower over a 5-foot soaking tub! Of our ten accommodations, just three are limited to double occupancy, two to triple occupancy, four will accommodate two couples, and one has a queen bed and three twin beds!
Naturally, all our rooms have private bathrooms! Room amenities include: wired and wireless internet, flat-screen TVs with Blu-Ray DVD players (and a free DVD library in the guest sitting room), a refrigerator and coffeemaker in each room, our luxurious robes, hair dryers, and high threadcount fine linens. We offer first night turndown service with locally crafted Matangos Venetian mints for your pillows. Our rooms are pet free and non smoking. All standard rates are based upon double occupancy.
- Accommodations: Suites
- # Rooms: 10
- Beds: Twin, Queen, King
- Room Amenities: Air Conditioning, Antique Furnishings, Bathrobes, Full Kitchen, Hair dryers, Private Entrance, Refrigerators, Rollaway Available, Telephones, Whirlpool or Jacuzzi, Alarm Clocks, Ironing Boards, Microwaves, Turndown Service
- Entertainment: Cable TV , DVD/Blu-Ray Players, Music Library, Video Library
- Safes: Front Desk
- Handicap Accessible: Limited
- Internet Services: Wired, Wireless, Complimentary
- Corporate Rates: Yes
- Front Desk/Security: Onsite
- Inn Amenities: Free Onsite Parking, Business Center, GLBT Friendly, Green/Enviromentally Friendly, National Historic Registry, Tesla/Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Concierge Services
- Location Type: City/Metro, Small Town/Village