Think your pooch has an easy life? He guards your house all day, protects you from the dangerous mailman, chases away destructive squirrels, and eats out of a bag. Maybe your dog deserves a weekend get-away as much as you do...
Your dog wants a personalized, pampered lodging experience only a Select Registry bed and breakfast, inn, or small boutique hotel can provide!
Here's 3 signs your dog wants to stay at a pet-friendly inn.
Has your dog ever given you that look? You know, the one after you set down his dinner and he just stares at you. Or the one when you're trying to enjoy your own dinner...
Cue Eric Carmen's Hungry Eyes.
Who has time to prepare gourmet pet food? Luckily for you (and your dog), the Lodge at Moosehead Lake in Greenville, Maine, makes its own gourmet dog treats!
And here's the recipe for fresh, organic dog treats from Chloe, the inn's adorable french bulldog with a sophisticated palate.
She makes sure all of the inn's pet guests eat well during their stay!
Chloe's Canine Crunchies
- 1 cup Quaker rolled oats (please, no generic substitutes)
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted, homemade butter (can be churned ahead and refrigerated for up to three weeks)
- 1 cup of boiling water (I prefer Fiji, but use your own favorite, premium bottled water)
- 3/4 cup Quaker white or yellow cornmeal (stone-ground is a must)
- 1 teaspoon of organic white or brown sugar (don't even think about non-caloric)
- 2 teaspoons of homemade chicken broth or beef stock (I prefer to use farm-fresh, eight to ten-week-old spring, fryers or Kobe beef, of course)
- 1/2 cup farm-fresh, hand-skimmed milk (I don't care for the "waxy" carton taste so transport and store it only in glass containers)
- 1 cup of organic shredded cheddar cheese (18-month aging is the minimum)
- 1 gently shaken, not stirred organic, free-range egg (I picked that up from Sean Connery when he stayed at the Lodge recently)
- 2 to 3 cups King Arthur Organic bread or whole wheat flour
Bake at 350 degrees until crispy. Take out of the oven and gobble up immediately!
The Lodge at Moosehead Lake welcomes dogs up to 70 pounds. Pet guests are permitted in two of the inn's suites: the Allagash and the Baxter Suite; both of which have their own outside entrance.
Your dog always has something to say, especially when the neighbors walk by the house. Maybe he feels like they're invading his space?
The Black Dolphin Inn in New Smyrna Beach, FL takes extra precaution to make sure your pet feels happy and safe, even when you can't be with him. This dog-friendly inn provides its guests with a "pet-in-unit" door sign to alert housekeeping when your dog is alone in the room.
For the moments when you are with your pet, the Black Dolphin Inn provides you with a list of local pet-friendly parks, restaurants, and businesses. This pet-friendly inn welcomes all dogs, regardless of weight or breed (a maximum of 2 per unit is allowed).
Your dog doesn't understand what it's like to be tired at the end of a busy day. You'd love to relax, but your dog has other plans. Maybe it's time to take your dog on an adventure that will wear him out! How about the Yosemite National Park? You can walk your dog on fully paved bike paths and roads, on a leash of 6 feet or shorter. Read all of the Yosemite's rules in regard to pets here.
The Groveland Hotel provides your dog with bedding, a water bowl for use during your stay, and a complimentary souvenir toy! All rooms and common areas of the property are pet-friendly, except for the dining room inside. When it's dinnertime, your dog is welcome to choose from an array of delicious pet-friendly dining options inside the slate-floored saloon or outside in the Garden Courtyard.
If your dog shows any of these signs, he may need to stay at a bed and breakfast immediately. Find an exceptional dog-friendly bed and breakfast, inn, or small boutique hotel in a matter of seconds here.
Want to receive our blog posts in your inbox? Subscribe to our e-newsletter.
Select Registry is a portfolio of more than 300 quality-assured premier bed and breakfasts, inns, and hotels throughout North America. Each of our member bed and breakfasts, inns, and hotels has passed an unannounced, rigorous, 200-point quality assurance inspection to earn and maintain its Select Registry membership, and to ensure it provides travelers with guaranteed quality, exceptional service, and an unforgettable lodging experience.