There are so many special things about New England. From the quaint villages to the rocky beaches, visitors enjoy so many aspects of the New England experience. While family vacations are popular in the region, romantic getaways in New England might be even more sought after. New England on the northeast coast of the US is made up of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. Each of these states has its own unique charm, but all of them share a special quality that makes the area the perfect vacation destination. And with a large number of Select Registry members in New England, you can be sure that you’ll have an experience to remember. Read on to find out about some of the activities you can participate in during romantic getaways in New England.
Maine is full of possibility for romantic getaways in New England. From the stunning coastlines to he charming countryside, to exciting urban environments, Maine has something for everyone. If the perfect escape for you is getting in touch with the great outdoors, head to the Bar Harbor area to visit Acadia National Park. Acadia National Park is home to small islands, ocean shoreline, woodlands, lakes, and mountains. It is the oldest National Park east of the Mississippi. Other points of interest in the state include the multitude of seaside villages, the bustling city of Portland, and beautiful mountain areas like Moosehead Lake.
Where to stay near Acadia National Park: With the natural beauty of Acadia National Park as a backdrop, there are no shortage of romantic locations in the area, but Manor House Inn provides a unique experience for visitors. Curl up by the fireplace with your special someone or enjoy a dip in your whirlpool or an evening on your private porch. The historic inn has lush grounds and is a short walk from the waterfront in Bar Harbor if you’d like to take a romantic stroll as the sun goes down.
Acadia National Park links:
Where to stay near Portland, Maine: Just check out the picture below and you’ll quickly realize there’s nowhere else you’d want to stay near Portland, Maine. Wolf Cove Inn is located in Poland, just a short trip from Portland, and this award-winning bed and breakfast goes over the top with its luxury towels and linens and gourmet breakfasts. If you’re looking trying to choose between romantic getaways in New England, you’ll be hard pressed to find a place with as much charm as the Wolf Cove Inn.
Portland, Maine links:
2. New Hampshire
In New Hampshire, couples can get a beautiful and romantic view of the White Mountains while visiting the White Mountain National Forest. Take on trails of differing difficulties to enjoy scenic vistas of the White Mountains including Cannon Mountain, Kinsman Mountain, the Presidential Range, and other ranges. Or visit Mount Washington State Park, home to Mt. Washington, which is the highest peak in the Northeastern US.
Where to stay near the White Mountains: Few things are more romantic than the scenery of the White Mountains, and the Notchland Bed and Breakfast puts you in the thick of it all. This historic manor house sits on a 100 acre estate within the White Mountain National Forest and features eight romantic guest rooms, five luxury suites and a couple of pet friendly cottages. Enjoy the rustic comfort of your own fireplace, five course dinners and a full country visit, not to mention the natural beauty of the Mt. Washington Valley.
White Mountains links:
Couples looking for romantic getaways in New England who enjoy antiquing, shopping, galleries, and outdoor activities should head to the part of Vermont known as the Mad River Valley between the Sugarbush and Mad River Glen mountain resorts. Enjoy the lovely villages of Waitsfield and Warren or get outside for horseback riding, hiking, or skiing in the winter. The Green Mountains also provide a beautiful setting for romantic trips to New England.
Where to stay near the Mad River Valley: Select Registry has a couple of options for an amazing romantic getaway to the Mad River Valley in Vermont. Here are some can’t miss getaway destinations:
- West Hill House B&B in Warren Vermont is a perfect place for romance and relaxation. Located off of quiet country road and surrounded by the beautiful scenery of central Vermont, this bed and breakfast has nine ensuite rooms and includes a daily three course breakfast each morning. Nearby Sugar Bush offers a little bit of everything, from skiing, to golf to shopping and fine dining.
- The Inn at Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield offers twelve rooms with distinct personalities and the types of luxuries you’d expect for a romantic getaway, like a personal fireplace and steam showers. A popular destination for weddings, the flower covered meadows, perennial gardens and lush hillsides set the mood perfectly for any romantic occasion.
Mad River Valley links:
Where to stay near the Green Mountains: Lounging by the pool at the Deerhill Inn in Vermont’s Southern Green Mountain region should be near the top of anyone’s list of relaxing and romantic destinations. Beyond the glorious scenery and amenities, active couples will enjoy Mount Snow’s winter activities which include downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and even dog sledding. Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall, the outdoor activities and unique luxury amenities of the Deerfield Inn make it an ideal romantic getaway destination.
Green Mountains links:
Massachusetts is another state in New England full of romantic opportunities. The rolling hills of the Berkshires are green and lush in the warm months, brightly colored in the autumn, and perfect for picturesque skiing in the winter. The Berkshires also boast fantastic galleries, museums, historic sites, and performances to enjoy. Or, if you’re more of a beach person, Cape Cod is the ideal destination for romantic getaways in New England. Shorelines backed by impressive, postcard perfect bluffs and iconic lighthouses draw in visitors from around the country. Your stay at a Massachusetts b&b is sure to be one you will remember.
Where to stay near the Berkshires: The Inn at Stockbridge is one of the Berkshires top destinations due to its incredible 12-acre estate and beautiful gardens. During your stay you’ll find marble and granite-enhanced bathrooms and double whirlpools, along with king sized beds and all of the charm of the gilded age in this Georgian style mansion. Lest we forget, you can also take a relaxing dip in the heated pool.
Where to stay near Cape Cod: If you’re looking at a romantic New England getaway to Cape Cod, you can’t possibly go wrong with the local Select Registry Inns.
- The Candleberry Inn is a short stroll from romantic Breakwater Beach. The area around the inn offers all kinds of wonderful options for a romantic getaway, with scenic drives around the Cape, or a relaxing walk along the Cape Cod Trail or Nickerson State Park. The central location makes for easy access to local museums, shops and restaurants or a day trip to Chatham, Hyannis or the Islands.
Captain Freeman Inn features ten intimate guest quarters that reflect all of the local charm of Cape Cod. Located in the heart of Cape Cod, you’ll have easy access to everything the area has to offer and is just steps from Breakwater Beach and the Brewster General Store and Ice Cream Shop. While you take in your romantic excursion, you’ll also be treated to delightful farm to table food that you can enjoy on the screened in porch.
Cape Cod links:
5. RHODE ISLAND
Newport, Rhode Island is another one of the charming coastal villages that New England is famous for. Couples will enjoy walking along the beach, sailing, and enjoying the restaurants and entertainment options in town.
Where to stay near Newport, Rhode Island: Newport is a fantastic location for a getaway into the Northeast, but with so many options, where should you stay? We’ve got a few suggestions:
- Hydrangea House Inn Bed & Breakfast is a local architectural marvel, designed by noted architect Dudley Newton. If you want to spread out and relax on your romantic adventure to Newport, this is a great choice. The suites are huge and include jacuzzi spa tubs, fireplaces, flat screen TVs and two-person showers. Another nice perk is the afternoon wine & cheese festival in the drawing room – a perfect way to kick off an evening in Newport!
- Cliffside Inn sits atop Newport’s breathtaking cliff walk. The Cliffside Inn focuses on luxury, and during your stay in Newport you’d be hard pressed to find better food than the Cliffside’s renowned breakfast entrees or the amazing homemade s’mores around the outdoor fireplace.
- La Farge Perry House is a charming estate once occupied by renowned artist John La Farge and his wife Margaret. With five luxurious guest rooms, you’re free to enjoy the tranquil backdrop of the nearby harbor and enjoy local amenities like Easton’s Beach, the Cliff Walk and the local historic district.
Connecticut has several areas perfect for romantic getaways in New England. Mystic, Connecticut is home to great maritime history at Mystic Seaport and has a wonderful collection of sailboats and ships as well as historic maritime buildings. The state is also home to beautiful rolling hills in countryside towns such as Ledyard. And Old Saybrook and Stonington are two well-known seaside towns that offer beautiful views and enchanting experiences.
Where to stay near Mystic, Connecticut: Stonecroft Country Inn Bed & Breakfast, located in Ledyard, is a short five minute trip from Mystic and offers the perfect amount of peace and quiet for a romantic retreat. Enjoy a relaxing day at the inn with our beautiful gardens, pond and waterfall. If you want to ramp things up for a night of excitement, you can head to the casino. If you’d like to take in the natural surroundings, there’s plenty of local hiking as well. If wine is more your speed, there are plenty of options in the surrounding wine country. Mystic’s open ended adventures are completely up to you when you stay at the marvelously appointed Stonecroft Country Inn.
STILL PONDERING WHERE TO STAY DURING ROMANTIC GETAWAYS IN NEW ENGLAND?
When you take off for romantic getaways in New England, be sure to book a stay at one of the Select Registry member inns in the region. There are currently 78 Select Registry members in New England. No matter which state you visit, you’ll find fabulous accommodations with top quality amenities. You can be confident that each property will give you a Select Registry experience to remember!